Sunday, June 29, 2014

Why did I become a teacher?

Lots of times in my teaching career, I've run across people that either asked me this question or they said something along the lines of, "Wow. I could never be a teacher." Let me tell you this, teaching is not for everybody. Teaching is a very difficult job. Even after five years of school, in the class experience, and receiving a Masters in Teaching, teaching is a difficult job. It can also be a rewarding profession. Sometimes you have to weigh the positives versus the negatives. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching or I wouldn't be doing it. It's more than a love of children though. You have to be able to adapt and learn continuously in order to be successful in this profession. I have continued my learning through reading books for teaching as well as talking to other teachers and being a part of the National Education Association which connected me with some useful information and people.

Now to answer the original question. I became a teacher because I have wanted to be a teacher since I was in second grade. I have always said that I would be a teacher someday and it's always been my dream. I chose to stick with younger kids because I have always enjoyed working with younger children versus middle school or high school students. I became a teacher because I wanted to make a difference in the lives of others. I felt that the way I could make a difference was to be an educator. When I see the light bulb go off in a student's eyes, I just get this feeling of joy and success. I know that being a teacher is what I am meant to be doing. I have enjoyed teaching my first couple years and look forward to what the future brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment